The novel coronavirus has managed to be a big problem for everybody for a foreseeable future. With coronavirus lockdown now in place in India, most people are turning to online deliveries and takeaways. But is it safe? Experts say yes, but with a few caveats. With a few smart precautions, you can make your deliveries safe.
The first thing you need to keep in mind is that the packages that are being delivered to you are somehow affected by the coronavirus (you may never know who has coughed and touched your packages). And the second thing to keep in mind is taking manageable precautions and steps to avoid spreading the virus.
At this point in time, you must have googled every possible thing about the deadly COVID-19. So, you must know that this virus can persist on objects/surfaces for a few hours or up to several days, depending on different conditions such as temperature or humidity of the environment. New research from the NIH shows that COVID-19 lives for 24 hours on cardboard and 72 hours on plastic and stainless steel and most of the deliveries come in cardboard packaging. So, you can follow up on some simple measures to ensure that even in isolation, you are safe from the virus.
How to take packages:
- Wash your hands before handling the package
- Maintain at least 1 meter (1 hand) distance from the delivery person
- It is better if you can ask the delivery person to leave the package at your doorstep
- It is advised to make payments online to avoid any further contact with the delivery person
- Do not hold the package against your clothes
- Do no let multiple people handle the package
After taking the package:
- Let the package sit in one place rather than moving it from one place to another
- If you’re not in a hurry to open the package, let it sit in the corner of your doorstep for a few hours
- If not, use a disinfectant to clean the package from outside
- Immediately throw out the outer packaging in the dustbin outside
- And wash your hands immediately
Some points to remember:
- Avoid touching the frequently touched surfaces like doorknobs, elevator buttons, etc.
- Always use sanitizer or wash your hands with soap regularly
- Do not let children handle the packages that come from outside
- For those who enjoy ordering food online frequently, it is better to eat home-cooked food to avoid invitation of the virus from outside in any form
- If you are sick and home quarantined, take all the precautionary measures while handling the packages
Stay home, stay healthy and do not panic! As government and medical officials are taking all the possible measures to combat this deadly virus, you on your part can keep yourself safe even being in the lockdown.