So much has been said about the pandemic of COVID-19 which has hit the globe, disrupted businesses and hindered the mobility of people from one place to the other. During this health crisis, most of the stores are running out of essential things such as hand sanitizers, toilet papers, etc. Now that WHO has announced that frequent washing of hands can prevent people from this deadly disease, people are looking for the modern method of cleaning hands – sanitizers! Given that alcohol-based sanitizers serve best during this crisis, people are stocking up them in bulk, leaving very little or none for others.
Until they stock up sanitizers in the stores again, here’s how you can make your own sanitizer using essential oils. This shouldn’t be too hard, given that most of the ingredients used are easily available in your home.
Types of essential oils:
- Tea Tree
- Purification Blend
What is the purpose of adding essential oils:
There are three benefits of adding essential oils in homemade sanitizers.
- Replenish moisture and nutrients: Alcohol is rough on the skin and rubbing it again and again can irritate it. That’s why most of the commercial sanitizers have humectants to restore the moisture that has been stripped away. On the other hand, homemade sanitizers contain glycerin, aloe vera to lock in the moisture. And essential oils can also restore lost moisture and can soothe dry and chapped skin.
- Acts as anti-bacterial: Various studies have proved that essential oils have antibacterial properties, thus increasing their effectiveness in sanitizers.
- Aromatherapy: Essential oils provide aromatherapy like boosting your mood, helping you concentrate and relax your body.
How to make homemade hand sanitizer:
Making a homemade hand sanitizer is easy. You just need a few basic ingredients and supplies:
What you need:
- ¾ cup of rubbing alcohol/isopropyl alcohol 91%
- ¼ cup of aloe vera gel
- 1 tablespoon glycerin
- Up to 10 drops of your favorite essential oils
- Large mixing bowl
- Sterile containers
How to make:
- Take a bowl
- Add alcohol, aloe vera gel, and glycerin, and mix it well
- Add drops of the essential oils
- Using a spoon mix it well together to form a gel
- Using a funnel, transfer the mixture into a sterile container
- Voila! Your sanitizer is ready
Essential Oil Combinations:
- 4 drops Tea Tree, 3 drops Lemon, 3 drops Lavender
- 3 drops Cinnamon Bark, 4 drops Lemon, 3 drops Eucalyptus
- 5 drops Thieves, 5 drops Tea Tree
- 4 drops Spearmint, 3 drops Lavender, 3 drops Bergamot
- 5 drops Purification, 5 drops Lemon
Tip: Clove and cinnamon are especially helpful in fighting respiratory infections during the early stages. So in the time where COVID-19 is creating a panic, it will be very useful to use clove and cinnamon essential oils in your sanitizer. However, what you need to keep in mind is that these oils are potent and can cause skin irritation. If you are making sanitizer for kids, it is advised to use lavender or tea tree essential oil.
It is better safe than sorry! Make your own homemade hand sanitizers to keep yourself and your family miles away from COVID-19. Grab those bottles of essential oils, and make your sanitizer today.