Covid 19 is crippling our lives- social, mental, physical and emotional. A year ago, how many of us had imagined that we’d be ‘Grounded’ For REAL – disabled in a way- not meeting our dear ones, not going to school or office, doing total chores by ourselves, or stuck at a particular destination.
While you dwell and brood on this, let’s pay gratitude to people in frontlines taking charge, taking all the risk with unending days away from family, so that our lives are secure. Some of us had an opportunity to create better relationships or professions during this time, while some went all out with online social services.
While the battle against the covid 19 pandemic is fought by our health care workers, we can surely do our bit by limiting our exposure to the virus by staying indoors, social distancing, eating healthy, hydrating, and following basic hygiene protocols, so as to better our immunity and chances of the virus attack.
- Surfaces are not the highest COVID 19 risk… But still make efforts to clean packages and bags, knobs, and handles!
- Cleaners take at least 1 minute to disinfect…make sure and be Patient!
- Rub your hands completely till they are dry … before that do not touch eatables or go near the stove!
- Wearing gloves isn’t necessary…not touching your face or Nose is!
- Masks with filter ports are dangerous… For people around you!
- Surviving covid doesn’t necessarily make you immune.. It is required to get yourself and your family members checked in case of symptoms!
- Covid 19 herd immunity isn’t the best option, as it will take many many years, and numerous lives before that…its Best to get vaccinated
- People who look healthy could be infected…best to avoid gatherings!
6 ESSENTIALS to beat COVID
1. Nutritious food
When the body is fighting infection, it needs more energy, fluids, and proteins to repair and heal. Take help of the list below to get yourself the optimum nutrition during and after covid infection
- Citrus fruits
- Nuts and seeds
- Broccoli spinach and sweet potato
- Pulses and sprouts
- Barley and honey
- Fermented foods
- Fresh and unprocessed foods
2. Refreshing Sleep
Just as important as food and nutrition is in managing covid 19, it’s as important to take adequate sleep and good rest. The fatigue that’s experienced is debilitating and tiresome. Before sleeping ;
- Create a quiet environment for good quality sleep
- Read a book
- Listen to soft music
- Away from the screen for at least 1 hour
- Take a soothing drink like chamomile tea or warm milk
3. Ample Hydration
Hydrating is one of the KEY to overcoming dehydration caused during covid infection. As the body has fought or is fighting out, it requires water or fluids in extra quantities for rejuvenation of bones, tissues, and muscles.
Some ways in which fluids can be consumed:
- Herbal tea/green tea
- Vegetable broth
- Chicken broth
- Fruit-infused water
- Vegetable juices
- Dal soup
- Sattu drink
- Turmeric milk/ turmeric water
4. De-stress with meditation
As there’s constant bombardment and consumption of negative news over TV and social media- it’s important to do a detox.
- Do not pay attention to callously circulated and sometimes nonverified media.
- Do not be a part of groups that constantly discuss negativity and death counts
- Practice Meditation – it helps to concentrate on your breathing and keeps attention away from negativity
5. Boost immunity with Supplements
Supplementing a good diet is also important as it regenerates lost nutrients at a better pace providing energy and vitality. Consult a doctor or dietician to guide you on what supplements are required
- Vitamin C ( 1000mg once a day) for the repair of tissues and for immune function
- Vitamin D for bone and mental health
- Vitamin E for pain and antioxidant activity.
- Zinc and selenium for taste, smell, and immunity
- Vitamin B6 &12, Iron for blood synthesis
6. Stay fit & active
The most important yet least practiced aspect is physical exercise. It rejuvenates muscles, bones, and all the organs with a good and optimum supply of blood. Make sure to consider your condition and choose what’s best suited for you.
Ways to do exercise at home or outside (follow distancing or alone)
- Stretching and warm-ups
- Breathing exercises
- Mild weight raining
- Home equipment for walking or cycling
- Indulging in some sport
How To Protect Yourself
- Work from home
- Practice meditation
- Avoid addictions
- Avoid travel when necessary
- Wear a face mask whenever possible
- Wash your hands often
- Do you essentials shopping online
- Take care of your pets and keep them away from you and people who are infected
- If you suspect that you are infected- Self isolate and use a separate toilet. Do not share utensils and towels
- Frequently clean commonly used surfaces like doorknobs, phones, and remote controls
Conclude this by adding-
REVIVE your mental and physical self
SURVIVE with positivity
THRIVE with good Habits and Nutrition
And there will come a time where we have adapted to the new normal and have a saga to talk about for years to come, about fighting it out with courage, determination, and compassion.
STAY HOME <STAY SAFE< STAY HEALTHY
This article is contributed by Daniyah Irfan!
Author Bio: Dt. Daniyah Irfan, BSc Nutrition and PG diploma in Dietetics and Applied Nutrition from Mumbai University. Holistic Nutritionist, Mindful health care expert, Certified life coach, & Nutripreuner. Life member of Indian Dietetic Association. Transformed the health of many and now on a mission to educate the new generation towards healthy eating habits for optimum physical and mental wellbeing.
Message for everyone: Be ready to do whatever it takes to be a health warrior!