No one can avoid Sun & Sun kissed skin and living in a tropical climate, makes sun tan more worse. We all have tan lines, uneven skin tone or even Sun blotches that we wish we could wash off in no time. Removing tan is not as easy as becoming a prey for it.
Tan is the body’s attempt to protect skin from harmful UV rays. A compound called Melanin is responsible for tanning & skin darkening. Skin releases melanin under the layers of your skin to absorb UV rays. The more the sun exposure, the more melanin releases and the darker your skin gets.
The best way to remove tan is to avoid it first. Always wear protective clothing, use sunscreen for every two hours when outside. Also after a long sun exposure, give your skin, especially your face an icing pack.
Dip your face in a bowl of ice cubes & try to keep the position for at least 30 seconds & repeat for 3 to 5 times.
Rub ice cubes on neck & sun tanned areas, as ice cools & soothes skin, skin icing will help reduce skin tan & sun burn effectively.
Apart from this, these are some simple & effective skin care masks to remove sun tan that you can easily make at your home. Try these & experience the benefits.
Tangy Tomatoes For Tanned Skin:
Apart from being yummy, tomatoes have abundant tan removal properties. The juice of tomatoes is acidic & it works as a bleaching agent fights uneven skin tone, sun tan & sun burns. Lycopene, a popular antioxidant found in tomatoes, fights skin inflammation & cell damage. Here’s a simple yet effective de-tan mask for your tanned skin.
- Pick a couple yummy fresh & juicy tomatoes
- Mash them and segregate the pulp
- Apply the juice on your face; use cotton to avoid messy hands
- Keep it on for about 15 minutes or till it dries up
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- Use this twice a week!
Say Hello to Aloe:
Aloe is known for its cooling & anti-inflammatory properties & this makes it one of the best natural remedies for skin tan. The moisturizing effects of aloe can soothe dry, itchy & sun-blotchy skin and it’s cooling properties can reduce skin inflammation along with reduce the worst implications of sun tan. Use this mask, immediately after returning home to soothe skin instantly.
- Grab a fresh aloe vera stem along with a lemon
- Extract the gel from the stem & mix it with fresh lemon juice
- Apply the mixture on face & neck & let sit for 15-20 mins;
- As the mask is in liquid consistency use a brush or cotton ball avoid messy hands
- When dried, wash away the mask with warm water
Citrusy Lemon Scrub For Removing Tan:
Lemons are rich in vitamin C and citric acid, so they are the greatest source to brighten and lighten your skin. There’s a growing popularity for lemons to treat sun tan, citric acid in lemons, breaks down dead skin & decreases skin inflammation. Adding sugar to lemon juice results in a highly effective exfoliator, which flushes away dead skin & lightens skin tone. This popular mask is your go-to remedy for removing sun tan.
- Mix the fresh lemon juice and sugar
- Apply this mix to your face & neck or other sun tan affected areas
- Use your hands to massage it in circular motion for about 2-3 minutes
- Rinse it off after 15 mins.
- Do this once a week
Starchy Potato For Sun-Tan:
Potato juice is a natural home-made bleach to get rid of the tan. Potatoes are rich in minerals, vitamins, protein fibers and also have natural bleaching properties. They are a rich source of Vitamin C and works wonders on tan, blemishes and pigmentation. Here’s a simple de-tan mask for your sun kissed skin.
- Take a slice of potato & mash it using a blender
- Strain the juice from the mashed potato into a bowl
- Add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Apply this mixture on your face & neck
- Rinse off after half an hour.
Cool Cucumber To Cure Sun-Tan Damage:
Cucumber is one of the ultimate cooling foods. Flavonoids and antioxidants in cucumbers decrease swelling, redness and irritation and being rich in nutrients like water, potassium, sulfate and vitamins A and C, cucumbers are the best resource to reduce sunburn & tanning. This super cool cucumber mask will wash away your tan in a snap.
- Blend cucumber & strain the juice
- Add milk to the cucumber juice & mix well
- Apply it on the affected area & let sit for 20 minutes
- Do this religiously twice a day.
Powerful Papaya For Professional De-Tan Mask:
Rich in enzymes, beta-carotene, vitamins, and phytochemicals, Papaya is a natural healer and is a best remedy for melasma. Papain, the protein present in papaya is proved to lighten and soften the skin. Try this mask everyday & see how your skin glows!
- Cut a ripe papaya into slices
- Rub them on your face, neck & hands
- Keep it on for about 20 mins
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
- Do this twice a day if possible
Soothing Sandalwood To Soothe Sun-Tan:
Being known for its anti-inflammatory & cooling properties, sandalwood clams irritated skin & also tights it by reducing pores. Adding to this sandalwood possess mild exfoliating properties, which prove beneficial for sun burn & tanned skin. Try this mask to remove tan in no time.
- Make sandalwood paste from a stick using mortar and pestle or use pure sandalwood powder
- Mix one tablespoon of sandalwood powder in two tablespoons of coconut water.
- Apply this mask all over the face & neck & on other tanned parts
- Leave the mask for about 30-minutes & rinse off with lukewarm water
- Repeat on alternate days.
When tanned simply turn to your kitchen. The place is loaded with many skin-benefiting ingredients. In this case, many sun tan removal ingredients. From sun burns to uneven skin tone, your kitchen has a remedy for everything. Try these easy homemade masks to soothe your sun burned skin, remove sun tan in a jiffy.